Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Living Life to the Fullest--8/22/17 Update

Yesterday was full of fun pictures posted by friends and family all focused on the eclipse--and we tried to see it also, but our south Georgia weather just did not cooperate.  Our family watched it on TV.

But yesterday also marked the day that my sweet sister-in-law Lisa went to live with Jesus in Heaven.  I've thought about her so many times over the last five years.  One of my favorite things she did was to "Live Life to the Fullest" and in doing so she inspired me many times to try to do the same.

Ben and I have spoken in those quiet moments about her 45 years she was given.  How we would try to live our lives that would bring the most glory to God because-- wonder if we only got 45 years to live.  In fact, I'd say Lisa's years of life on this Earth had such an impact on me, that when God called us to go to Honduras--there wasn't much hesitation.  Living life to the fullest is not necessarily the life you thought you might live, but it is an amazing journey.

And now--"Living life to the Fullest" with stage 4 Ovarian cancer is a new adventure.  Something God reminded me of yesterday is that my joy in this journey doesn't come in the circumstances, but in Him.  I am getting to see God work in this unbelievable way that if I wasn't going through this cancer journey I'd be missing all of these intricate experiences that God has set in place.  People literally all over the world are praying for my healing, and giving sacrificially for our expenses.  We feel the prayers, and we know God is at work to bring good in this situation.  There is great joy in knowing that God cares for me that much!  And there is great joy for me in knowing that God cares for you that much!

There is Joy--not in the tiredness, or the itchy rash, nor in the chemo brain fog that makes me forget.  But there is joy in the fact that God is behind the scenes providing me with places to rest, medicine for the rash, and well laughter when I can't even remember a simple word.

Every day we have a choice--a choice to Live Life to the Fullest, or a choice to live life defeated.

I believe Lisa is watching from Heaven, cheering us on, and encouraging us to be adventurous.  And Jesus is right there beside her saying, "Go ahead--you can do it!"

Chemo Update:  My CA125 numbers dropped to 248 on last Friday.  Woohoo!  The chemo is working!  I did develop a nasty rash that was keeping me scratching, but thankfully the doctors gave me steroids and the rash has dried up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,
You are an inspiration to so many. Thank you for the sweet words about Lisa. She definitely loved her life and lived it well. We are keeping you in our prayers and will continue pray for your healing. Those chemo side effects can be tough! But your positive attitude is
one way to combat it! keep improving and moving forward!

Ann Alford

Michele Brantley said...

Such true words and so well stated! You and Lisa remind me so much of each other. Love you and continuing to pray for you!! You are indeed an inspiration!!!

Michele

Unknown said...

Agee I love you. You are truly a strong woman with you faith just as strong!