Friday, April 1, 2011

Psalms

I've been reading the book of Psalms--a lot lately.

I have yet to come away from reading this book where my heart need was not met.

Recently I read these words when I was praying for my brother-in-law David after his heart surgery, "My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." Psalm 73:26

When I am thinking about Hannah Grace and all of the other 147 million orphans of the world, and I'm wondering, "God what else do you want me to do?"  These words usually come to mind: "Father to the fatherless, defender of widows--this is God, whose dwelling is holy.  God places the lonely in families; he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy." Psalm 68: 5-6  I am reminded again that God is THE Father--he is sovereign--he is in control--he has a plan for every single life that is created.  We have to listen with open ears and an obedient mind to see what is our role and responsibility in making a difference.

When I want to take charge and rush off  to solve a problem--whether I'm supposed to or not . . .  I get reminded, "I wait quietly before God, for my salvation comes from him.  He alone is my rock and my fortress where I will never be shaken." Psalm 62: 1-2

When I lose focus about what's important in life, I go to these verses to be reminded of my brevity of life . . . "Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered,  and that my life is fleeing away.  My life is no longer than the width of my hand.  An entire lifetime is just a moment to you: human existance is but a breath. We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing.  We heap up wealth for someone else to spend.  AND SO, (Julie's emphasis) Lord, where do I put my hope?  My only hope is in YOU." Psalm 39: 4-7  I want my life to make a difference--to point others to God.  I know there have been many times when I have lost that focus and walked according to my wishes and my desires, so I constanlty need to be regrounded--refocused to God's ways.

If I need to be reminded of how to help guide my children and myself, I go to Psalm 119. "How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word and following its rules.  I have tried my best to find you--don't let me wander from your commands.  I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. " Psalm 119: 9-11

God speaks mightily through his word.  I personally like to read other books of the Bible and then spend a little bit of time in Psalm or Proverbs.  When I begin my day this way, I usually make better choices throughout my day.  When I miss my time in the word--well, let's just say that attitude is usaully lacking.

How has the Bible spoken to you lately?  Feel free to share in the comments.

No comments: