Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Saying Goodbye--But Not without Hope

I just returned home from North Carolina.  My three sisters and I made a whirlwind trip to go visit my Grandma Felberg.  She is 91 years old.  And it was time to say goodbye -- for just a little while.

She was moved to hospice yesterday and the workers do not think that she will linger long in this world.

I am thankful I had the chance to say my goodbye on this earth.  I was able to sit beside her for a little while and try to decipher her words.  She was speaking so softly.  There was a moment though that was precious--she whispered, "Love you" in a raspy voice, just loud enough to be heard.

 Treasured words.

 Had she not whispered them however, I would have not felt unloved--my grandma loved well--her actions throughout her life spoke loudly.

During the days as more of the family members arrived,  her eyes would light up with joy and laughter as stories were shared around the room.  Memories of a strong woman who loved her family and God. 

Once when she was whispering we thought she said the word "amazing".  The only thing we could think she might mean was "Amazing Grace" so we began to sing the song and grandma tried to sing along with us. 

Even though I am having to say goodbye for now--it is not without hope.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 says, "But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus."

I will not shed tears because I won't see my Grandma again--it will be for the loss on this side of heaven.

I will one day see her healthy, smiling face in Heaven.

And she will greet me with a hug and lead me to Jesus.

No comments: