Thursday, February 23, 2012

Take Action!

I am humbled today and exhilarated all at the same time.

I am humbled because I know that so many days I get wrapped up in what is going all around me, that I forget to look and see where God is at work and join Him in his activity.

AND then I had a real "who knows" moment today.  A what??? you ask??

You know in Esther and Joel when the writers say, "who knows".

Okay--work with me here and I will do some explaining.

I have been studying the book of Esther with a great group of ladies.  (We are using the Beth Moore Bible Study--It is really an amazing study.)  Anyways,  we have recently arrived at the most famous verse from the book of Esther.  You know--"And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Esther 4:14

It is the part of the story when Esther must choose to be silent and do nothing and die or take action and go before the king and probably die.  You know one of those easy decisions in life!

I've never unpacked the words, "who knows" before in that verse.  But they have really come alive for me.  The writer is using what is called "sudden silence" in this sentence.  He is leading the reader's mind to be more impressed with what is left unsaid then with what is said. 

The writer could have said, "And God has placed you in this royal position for such a time as this."  We would have gotten the message, but think about the words "who knows".  We usually ask this question when we don't know.  BUT the author KNOWS who knows and we, the readers, get to infer WHO KNOWS.

WHO KNOWS why Esther was placed in this position at this exact time in history?

The only answer can be God Almighty, the creater of our universe, the God who forgives us and saves us from utter despair--that's WHO KNOWS!!!

Even though the name of God is never once mentioned in the book of Esther--we get to see HIS Hands all over this book.

Which brings me to be exhilarated today.

I woke up to a message on Facebook today from a dear friend.  She was telling me of a situation that is taking place for a couple of families in her life right now.  I can't go into any details, but suffice it to say that these families need God to show up in a mighty way.

Immediately, I thought of a possible mini-solution, but it will only meet a partial need.  I have also tried to look into some other possibilities, and I am waiting to get an answer back from some inquiries that I made a little while ago. 

How cool is it that God lets us use information, our finances, our influences, our friends/families, our sisters and brothers in Christ, our talents/skills, our locations etc. to be used "in such a time as this".

The truth of the matter is that we are each placed in positions where we have to make decisions that requires action.  God puts something in front of us and we make a decision, we either act or we fail to act.

We are living right now in the exact place that God wants us to be so that we too can act in obedience to His Plan.

Proverbs 24:12 says, "Don't try to avoid responsibilty by saying you didn't know about it.  For God knows all hearts, and he sees you.  He keeps watch over your soul and he knows you knew."

Once a task has been placed before you by God--don't delay--Take Action!

(and yes--I'm talking to ME too!)

In Him who is Able,

Julie

No comments: